Tele2 (and Telefónica)
Last Wednesday, when I arrived home my Internet service was down. As I received an SMS from Tele2 informing that I should install the router once I lose my ADSL connection, I connected my new router. Of course, it did not work. A tried to go back and put my old ADSL router, but it did not work either. Not even the phone.
So it finally happened. I was without ADSL connection at home. Luckily, I own a Simyo card and thus I am not without Internet connection, although the pure 3G connections was a bit slow. The fact is that it is quite inconvenient to pay for a service and not to receive it.
Thursday morning I called Tele2 and they told me that this is an illegal practice by Telefonica and that I should complain because I should receive my former service until I am switched to the new one... I decided not to do so and loose hours hung of the phone talking with a telephone operators that has not too many possibilities to help me and just hope that, as promised when I signed for the Tele2 service, in 25 days I would have my ADSL service up.
Finally, on Saturday morning I received the redemptive SMS informing that my ADSL service was activated. I connected the router and started browsing!!
My happiness was short because when I did a speed test the results were not very impressive. The connection is more or less performing like the 3Mb line I had with Telefonica as can be seen in the following test results.
It improves the upload speed, that for the 3Mb "Duo" was of 320Kbps, but the download speed is more or less the same. The promised bandwidth in the Tele2 offer was 20Mbps, I was sure this was not been going to be achieved, but I expected a connection speed of around 8Mb.
The conditions of the DSL connection are not bad:
noise margin downstream: 15 db
noise margin upstream: 17 db
attenuation downstream: 39 db
attenuation upstream: 26 db
And following this article the connection should achieve ~11Mb.
So, to conclude this series of posts, a summary.
The timeline has been:
1st of October 2008 at 23:50. Started the migration process in the Tele2 website and received an email of confirmation stating that the process would take around 25 days.
6th of October 2008 at 19:36 Received an SMS stating that the process was already started and I would receive the Wifi Router at home in brief.
7th of October Received a letter with the contract inside to be returned to Tele2.
8th of October Returned it signed.
20th of October Received the Router package at home and an SMS informing that I have to connect and installed it when my present service goes down.
22nd of October Lose the Telefonica service
23rd of October I call Tele2 to complaint because the lost of service. They inform me that it has not been yet activated.
25th of October at 08:40 I received a SMS saying that my service is up. I connect the modem and it works!!
Indeed, 24 days after requesting the service I had my service up and running!
Speed is not impressive, but it overperforms my previous service with Telefonica.
Price is the most competitive offer out there. It halves my previous payments to Telefonica.
So, I think that the change has been good... and will work to improve the speed complaining to Tele2... to be continued ;-)